Monday, July 6, 2009

FREEDOM RUN

Every 4th of July, Hyrum City does a race called the Freedom Run. It is a 15K, which is 9.3 miles. This year was my Dad's 20th year running it. It meant even more to all of us considering that Micheal passed away in Iraq back in February. Anyone from the family was welcome to run the race. They tried to get as many from the family as possible to run it for my Dad's 20th and for Micheal. There were aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, cousins... you name it.

Amy was the first one to come in from the entire family. She had an amazing time too. You can see on her hat that there is an American flag. It is the flag from Micheal's uniform that was on his shoulder. She had my Mom stitch it onto her hat. Besides doing it for my Dad's 20th year, she was obviously doing it for Micheal. When she came running through that finish line, it brought tears to my eyes. She is amazing and I know Micheal is so proud of her, as well are the rest of us who see her pull through extremely hard times like a rock! Love you Ames!!!


My Dad is AMAZING. He ran the ENTIRE 9.3 miles with the flag. This is the flag that the military gave my parents at Micheal's funeral, after they had given Amy and Micheal's parents theirs. He carried it the whole run in honor of Micheal and the great sacrifice that he made! When my Dad came running through the finish line, I was in uncontrollable tears, seeing the flag flap in the wind and the look on my Dad's face was priceless. I love my Dad!


Kennet... not looking at the camera... so unheard of!

My Dad's friend had these shirts made up for my Dad's 20th year. Everyone in the family who ran, got a shirt. Also, us slackers like me, Josh, Mom, Annie, Jordan... you know those of us who couldn't run it, we got a shirt too, but that's just cause we are his immediate family, so we get special privileges.

The front of the shirt says, "Freedom Run 20 Years... and still running! We love you Micheal!" Then the back of the shirts say, "Life is a participation sport, not a spectator sport. Get out of the stands and into the game." Claud 2009!

The Herald Journal newspaper did a really nice article on it. It was really well written and I really enjoyed reading it. Once again, it made me cry. If you would like to read the article, click on this web address.
http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2009/07/05/news/news04-07-05-09.txt

All of this is just so fresh and Independence Day has NEVER meant so much to me as it did this year. Losing Micheal in Iraq this year has really changed the way I feel about my freedom to do as I please. The cost feels deeper, the pain feels heavier and I couldn't be more proud of my BROTHER. Thank you Micheal for your sacrifice and THANK YOU Amy, Kai & Kennet for yours as well!

6 comments:

Renae Williams said...

The pics of Amy and dad are awesome of the freedom run. I am so proud of dad for his strength and determination for the last 20 years and for the courage and strength that Amy gives to all of us everyday. Thanks to Micheal for his great sacrifice and for what freedom truly means to each one of us. Thanks to everyone who supported dad and Micheal on this wonderful day! By the way, is that Kennet peeking around my legs in the family picture as I'm sure he was trying to hide.

Amy and Micheal said...

Thank you for taking such wonderful pictures, Kim! You always do such a fantastic job. I was so proud to have ran it for my Micheal, and for Dad. I was just so glad to have finished. It was such a great race and I know Micheal was with me. I only hope to make him prouder with each passing year. Patriotism has taken on a new meaning for me like you can't believe, but especially the 4th of July. I love living in a land of Freedom, and I pray that I never ever take it for granted. Love you tons!

Mandy said...

Your post made me cry! I can't believe how strong your whole family is. I can't even imagine what a difficult, but meaningful holiday it must have been.
Great job with the pictures....I'm glad you got a shirt without running! I wish I would have seen you!!!

Ryan & Amber said...

What a great way to pay tribute to Michael on the 4th of July. Amy is such an amazing person. I love the shirts. I can't believe it was your dad's 20th year running in that race. Wow! What a great family!

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

That is really cool that your dad was running his 20th race. I love that he carried that flag that whole way. I also love how Amy has that flag from Michael's uniform. What a great post!

Heather said...

What a beautiful post! I can tell you have such an amazing family and it's beautiful how everyone rallied to honor Michael. It gives me goosebumps to think about it~