Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sirens and All


Ignore the Police car and School Bus, this post is about the Fire Truck and Ambulance. I just thought this picture was cute so I decided to use it even though it has those other 2 in it.

When I got home from a doctors appointment on Tuesday, Josh said Chloee had thrown up. She had been whining all day about how she didn't feel good. I'm just glad she did it on Josh's clock. Halle was throwing up on Sunday. Then Tuesday night, well I guess Wednesday morning, I started throwing up at about 4 AM and just kept going. I swear that I will NEVER eat what we had for dinner that night EVER again. It was a pasta dish with a tomato sauce base, zucchini, carrots, sausage (evidently bacon sausage, GROSS). I can't even stand the smell of it. Curse you Melissa Davis for giving me that recipe, I blame you!

Josh went to work early and came home after 2 hours because I couldn't take care of the girls because I couldn't be more than 5 feet away from a toilet. On the bright side though, I did weigh myself Tuesday night before I went to bed and then weighed myself again Wednesday morning and I had lost 7 lbs. If I didn't hate throwing up so much, I'd become bulimic. Just kidding!

As I'm sleeping, all of a sudden the smoke alarms start going off. I'm freaking out, come running down the stairs, almost had a heart attack and Josh was just checking them. Great, I puked once again because of that episode. He realized that our CO detectors don't work as he was checking everything and he was on the phone with the company that made them. Great! He was worried about maybe a gas leak and that was why all of us were getting sick. It did start with the youngest and littlest first, which is how it would work if there was one. Considering that the CO detectors don't work, even worse.

I called the West Point Fire Department and talked to the receptionist and asked her how much it would cost for them to come out and check the house. She told me that the best thing to do was to call 911, yes 911 and tell them, then they would dispatch them out to come check it and it wouldn't cost anything because our tax dollars pay for it. I told her that I wasn't going to call 911, it wasn't an emergency. She told me that it is if there's a leak. I really didn't want to but did anyway. I told the lady that answered that it wasn't an emergency the fire dept told me to call, I was so sorry. She was so nice and said it was fine and they get calls like that all the time. That made me feel a lot better.

Of course though, they come out here with their sirens on. I wanted to die. I actually started to have a panic attack. Not good. Well, long story short, they came in and checked all of the levels in the home for carbon monoxide, thank heavens, there was no leak. Yeah! They did have to check the levels in our body though as well, that's why the ambulance had to come out. They had to put one of those things on your finger like they do at the dr office when they're testing some level of something on you, I have no idea. They did say there was one minor thing that we do need to fix on the flu line, but it wasn't causing a gas leak.

They were very nice. I apologized over and over again. They said they get calls like that all the time. They gladly come out to check if you're worried about a gas leak. No problem. We did somehow get on the subject of people who call 911 and say they cut themselves (probably assuming it's a suicide attempt and they cut their wrists) and they get there and some guy had accidentally cut the top of his finger open just a bit with a knife. He said they tell them to put a band aid on it and leave. Someone actually called 911 once because they stubbed their toe.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

7 comments:

thejohnmfamily said...

I totally forgot I gave you that penne recipe. And, the funniest thing is that we made it tonight. It's one of the few things I can get my kids to eat, although I don't put Italian sausage in it anymore. Either way, I'm sorry it met with a bad end!

The Over Family said...

Holy Cow --- I feel horrible that you and your family are so sick, but the way that you told this story is so hilarious that I just can't stop laughing. Thank you so much for being so funny and sharing your experiences. I really needed to laugh after the kind of week that I have been having! I hope that you feel better soon!

Heather said...

You have a way of wording things that makes me want to laugh and cry all at once. Sorry things have been not so fun. Sending good thoughts your way~

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everyone is ok :) Hope the flue goes away soon for you all.

Jen said...

Hope you're feeling better. We've had the pukes around here too. No fun.

Alisa and Paul said...

Aren't Fire Fighters and EMT's Heros, well maybe I am biased But look at the bright side you got to see those sexy fireman :) but I am glad that everyone is fine we actually do get those type of calls all the time and it is better to play it safe then not wake up. I think I wouldn't mind be bullemic either, it would make me feel lot better eating all the great food out there

Bob and Marie said...

Seriously??? How does stuff like this happen to you?? I think it's because you play mean pranks on people's birthdays and give them crazy things like crab cookie jars and stuff. :)