Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No Comparison

Chloee has a new fascination obsession. It is with Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. The new one. She wants to watch it all the time. I borrowed the old one from Amy and watched it recently.

The old movie with good old Gene Wilder doesn't even come close to comparing to the new one. Yeah, sure the old one brings back memories of my childhood, but still I could hardly watch it. I can't stand all the singing, don't even get Josh started on who they picked to play Charlie (Amy has heard plenty of that), the acting is terrible and it is really nothing like the book.


The new one is so much better. Hello, who else could play such a creepy, weird part but good old Johnny Depp? He plays the character just how he is written in the book. I love Johnny Depp, he is hilarious. Josh and I could watch this movie over and over again and still laugh at him. Freddie Highmore is so much cuter than that other Charlie too! I would have to say that the only thing I like better in the old one is the Oompa Lumpas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I should re-read the book. At first I thought the new Charlie looked so weird, but after watching it a few times, I really did like it. I think the old charlie is funny, but boring in a lot of spots. Charlie probably did need a remake :)

Anonymous said...

Do you know when Amy and the boys will be back from Alaska?

Foster Family said...

So I totally have to agree about the Oompa Lumpas - the new ones are uber-creepy. Come to think of it...the old ones are too. :)
Regardless, I also like the new one. I was hesitant at first because of the memories from watching it as a kid. I've always HATED the song where the mom sings as she does laundry - you know, "Cheer up Charlie."

Amy and Micheal said...

Is there any competition? Johnny Depp.... how do you compete with Jonny Depp? You can't. The new one wins hands down. Mary! You took the words right out of my mouth. I completely zone out when old Mama Bucket is scrubbing Charlie's underoo's and crooning about him cheering up. Gag!

Foster Family said...

Okay, Kim and Amy -- We watched to old one this weekend and I wished to death you were both here to heckle with me!! Could the writers make that poor boy more pathetic?? Steve put new music on our blog in honor of Charlie. :)