Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Pathfinder... Off Path

Almost 2 months ago, we were going up to Logan for Kyle's baby blessing. As we hit the mouth of the canyon, they were hauling a huge HOUSE that took up both of the lanes, going 10 mph. Being the ever so smart people we are... we decided we'd get there faster if we got off and went down through Mt. Sterling on the back roads instead of following the transport of a house.

Amy was following us, she slept at our house the night before. Josh takes a wrong turn, I said we needed to go the other way. Josh decides that instead of having to turn and back up, he'd just swing it with a wide turn. I said, "Josh, don't get us stuck." He says, "Oh Kimberlee, we're not going to get stuck, we have 4 wheel drive." What happens.... we get stuck. Now in Josh's defense, he didn't know that under all of that snow was a ditch.


The more we used the 4 wheel drive, the further down we got stuck. The closer and closer the snow started getting to me when I looked outside my window. It was getting worse.


The pictures really don't do this thing justice AT ALL. We were so far down, when I looked out the window, the snow was maybe 2 feet away from the bottom of my window. I was afraid the car was going to roll at the rate we kept sinking into it. We hauled the girls out of the car and put the car seats in Amy's car and had her go without us so that she could make it and give Marie the voice recorder.

A man was driving by on his way to church and offered us help. He went back home, which was just up the street, got on his coveralls and brought his tractor down. Yes, his tractor. That probably would have been the only thing to actually pull us out. It even took a bit with the tractor. We were so blessed to have him come by and help us.

We got on our way. We had already figured we weren't going to make it. It was far past 11. We got there and there must have been lots of announcements because as we walked into the chapel they were announcing that they were going to do Kyle's blessing then. We made it just in time, Josh just walked right up to the circle and was able to participate. We were so blessed, I couldn't believe that it wasn't over. Lots and lots of crying!

We then went back to Marie's and stuffed ourselves sick. Never has there been an Alleman get together were there wasn't enough food to feed an Army and at that, lots and lots of good food! Thanks again Marie for making my favorite Oreo dessert. I had my camera and meant to take pictures while we were there and I completely forgot. My camera was in Amy's car just in case the Pathfinder rolled.

2 comments:

Sandstone Writings said...

Wow! Can't believe you made it. That guy made me remember that people can be great! Sometimes it's hard to remember that!

Amy and Micheal said...

I still cannot believe that happened!! It was so crazy, one minute I'm driving down the road and then I turn around and see you guys ready to topple over! Insane! And yes, in Josh's defense, you couldn't tell that was a ditch, the snow was so high. So something I would have done, he just beat me to it. I was so glad when you guys made it for the blessing. What awesome timing!!