Saturday, March 20, 2010

Surgery For Josh

Ok, terrible picture. Don't have my camera, horrible lighting but still, I wanted to put a picture of him on here. Josh started with abdominal pain Thursday night. It just got worse and worse. I took him into the InstaCare this morning after at least 24 hours of the pain.

The doctor at the InstaCare looked him over and said he thought he had a hot appendix. They did some blood work and Josh didn't even pass out, way to be Josh. They sent us over to McKay Dee where he had to have a CT scan done first to check everything. He had to drink these 2 huge bottles of dye, which he described as drinking Mylanta but much much worse. He had to drink half of it every hour for 4 hours then he could do the CT scan.

At this point, I came home while he was in the waiting room watching a marathon of NCIS, his favorite one. My mom was great about coming down and helping with the kids. Earlier this morning I called 2 of my friends to see if they could watch the girls while I took Josh to the InstaCare. Cindy was on her way to work and Diane got called into work. It was like 8 AM. I was freaking out. Long, long story short, my friend Cindy's husband watched them for like 2 hours until my mom got down here. He's so great with them, the girls love him. Just initially looking at him you'd be scared to meet him in a dark alley, he's like 6' 5" and a big burly Italian man. We found out long ago, he's just a big softy. We love Todd. We got the girls packed up in my parents car and they took them home with them. It was so nice not to have to worry about them. My parents were great about the whole thing.

I did some things at home, got showered and went back up to the hospital. He was taking his last dose and then they put him in for the CT scan. They came back out and said they needed to get us admitted through the emergency room because Josh was getting his appendix out. We went through ER, post op, blah blah.... We met the doctor, he was on call, dressed in regular clothes and all, that was weird. There we were waiting and all of a sudden Josh is all concerned that the dog hadn't been fed or had water. Ok, that's what's on your mind? Seriously? Then they wheeled him back.

They did the laparoscopic way, with the 3 different holes and they said he'd be out of the hospital within 24 hours. Back when I got my appendix out, it was one bigger scar just on the right side where they cut you open to take it out and you were in there for 3-4 days. Granted, that was 15 years ago, but still. Evidently, they've come pretty far with doing these appendectomies.

The doctor came out and told me that the surgery went well and that they were just waiting for him to come out of anesthesia and it would probably be half hour before the nurse came out to tell me what room he was in. Well, an hour later she came out and said that he took longer than most to come out of the anesthesia and that he was now awake.

I went to his room but he wasn't there yet. Poor guy, he looked so tired when I saw him. He did awesome when they put the IV in him as well. Neither times did he pass out. Way to be, Josh! We talked for a few and then our friends came in to see us. They're like family to us. They brought me some dinner and for the first time in at least a day, I saw a smile on Josh's face. I tried to crack a joke as soon as I saw him and I got one of the sides of his lip to curl up. Sean had a huge beaming grin on Josh's face after no time. It was great to chat and laugh with them.

I went home, grabbed some more stuff and came back up to sleep. It was weird having Josh on the hospital bed and me in the chair. It's always been the other way around. My dad said it's R&R and I said, rest and relaxation. He said, "No, it's role reversal!" You'd have to know my dad and his acronyms to truly appreciate that.

Josh was discharged this morning. His nurses were fantastic. Both guy nurses and some of the best ones we've ever seen. We laughed about this whole thing and Josh was/is on lots of pain killers so it was even funner to have conversations with him and have him not make any sense.

Josh is doing great. We both slept for about 4 hours when we got home. My mom still has the girls and we are going to go pick them up tomorrow. Evidently, Halle learned how to say, "Bampa", I'm sure after my dad said it so many times. Thanks mom and dad for taking the girls and for all you do.

Josh and myself decided that we are going to start a club. That's right the NAC (No Appendix Club) and we'll just call ourselves The NAC (pronounced Knack) from now on. Aren't we so cool?

6 comments:

Stacie Peterson said...

My poor little Joshie! I'm glad he's OK. And FYI please call me if you ever need someone to watch your kids I love them to death!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like everything went great for Josh, I'm glad he is ok. Josh & I both have our appendix's out too :)

Bob and Marie said...

I think you guys should start the 'can anything else happen this past year club'. Seriously. I'm so sorry to hear Josh was in the hosptial. I'm glad everything turned out okay! I've been thinking about you guys all day since Mom told me. Hope you are recovering well Josh! I have a crab cookie jar that, filled with the right treats, makes everything all better. I'll get it right down to you.

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

Poor Josh! I'm glad things worked out and he's feeling better.

Maren said...

Oh my word! I know at least 3 people that have had their appendix in the past 2 weeks...Crazy! Is there anything we can do for you? I would love to have your girls come play, bring dinner, etc. Please let me know if I can help out at all!

Amy and Micheal said...

I agree with Marie, you should start a club. You guys would definitely be the king and queen of that club. Poor Josh. Just when you always think nothing else can happen, it does! I'm glad that everything was taken care of and that he is recovering well. Did he take it home in a jar? Does Josh have an 'appendix plan'? Just curious.