Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Trifecta

Before I start writing this post, I'm going to share this incredibly "lazy" moment I just had. As I sat down at the computer, I realized that I couldn't see the monitor because it is covered in so much dust. The only reason this is so obvious is because I have the blinds open.

I start off by trying to clean off some of it with the end of my shirt. I then realized that I would need a rag to do the job, I could only get so much of the dust with the shirt reaching abilities with it still on my body. Did I go get a rag? No. I took of my shirt, dusted it off, so I could see the monitor and then proceeded to put my shirt back on.

How's that for lazy and disgusting? That's me.
(In my defense, it is my dirty cleaning shirt, not a nice one.)


Alright, back to the actual post. There are 3 MAJOR things for me to do with my children when they become the appropriate age that REALLY give me stress and they seem to all happen right around the same time. I like to refer to this as THE TRIFECTA.

The Trifecta contains 3 parts. Obviously, hence the tri...

#1. THE BINKI
I get that some kids never use a binki. My children do not fall into that category, unfortunately. My children become so attached to their binki that I feel like I am taking away one of their best friends and it is no longer a thing, it's a person or a doll to my kids. Sad, this I know.

Finally, 3 months ago, when Halle was 2 and a half years old, we did it. Let me say this, she NEVER had it during the day, just at nap and bedtime. That was it. Josh tried to talk her into mailing them to the babies that need them. We tried telling her that she was a kiddo not a baby anymore so the binkis needed to go to the babies.

After much convincing, it worked and we piled together all the binkis and she never used one again. I will admit that I wanted to give one to her in the middle of the night when she wouldn't stop screaming. That one was a little heart wrenching as she would cry for it at night and fall asleep asking for it, but it was doable.


#2 THE BED
This one is quite a bit harder for me. About 2 months ago, we moved her to a bed. Josh has been trying to get me to move her to a bed for quite a while but I just couldn't do it. She's not climbing out of the crib, the crib contains her, WHY ON EARTH MOVE HER OUT? That was my thinking anyway.

He kept saying, she's two and a half, she needs a bed not a crib anymore. Nope, no convincing me. Finally, when I was cleaning the girls' room one day, I decided to bite the bullet. We already had a bed for her because back in February, we bought stackable bunk beds for the girls and put Chloee's bed up in her room but Halle's was still in the box.

Finally, we put the bed up and sold the crib. I figure if I ever had another baby, I want a new one that I didn't buy from a garage sale and wasn't made in 1980, that is not a joke. She did okay, at first she really didn't love the bed and there were a few rough nights but it went better than I thought.


#3 POTTY TRAINING
This one might as well kill me. This child is pure torture to potty train. It's not her idea, so plain and simple, it ain't happenin'. Nice use of English, I know.

She has been going pee and poop in the potty for probably 5 months now but that is ONLY if it is her idea or if Chloee is going to the potty and NEVER if we ask. It has been a constant battle. It has been a battle of who will finally give in. I usually lose and cave. This girl has stamina!

Last week I finally decided to just try and put her in underwear. As you can see, this girl has junk in the trunk. Most underwear hangs off of the kid's bum, not Halle, she's got a second cheek hanging out, she's that chunky. I love her chub.

Right when I put the underwear on her, she said, "Oh, I don't like these underwear, they make my bum cold." I'm sure they do, diapers have a lot of insulation. We go 1 hour without an accident and then I hear, "Uh oh, Mom!" Great! I come downstairs to find that she hasn't peed her pants, she full on crapped them and not a solid one, it was, of course, diarrhea. She didn't want me to wipe her down and she told me that she HATED underwear and she was done with them.

I sat down and cried and yet I caved and put her in a diaper. This child will go to preschool NOT potty trained, wait no she won't, cause they won't take them if they're not potty trained, so I guess she misses out of on that little adventure.

Chloee was potty trained at about 2 years and 3 months. Halle will be 3 in February. AHHHHH!!! After talking with my good friend, Mary this morning, she made me feel better and gave me renewed hope that it WILL happen when she's ready. She told me about how it was a power struggle with one of her kids, she has the same personality as Halle, and how she dealt with it and it made me feel like, first, I wasn't alone and second, eventually it will happen but it absolutely will NOT happen until she is ready.

Alright, bring on the patience cause I'm fresh out of that.

2 comments:

Abby Fowers said...

AH- the Trifecta! Brilliant name! Brilliant. We are lucky that we haven't had binki babies. BUT... how I dread potty training and Paisley has made me dread "the bed" part. We turned her crib into a toddler bed, but I really need to switch her onto the "big bed" (bunks) with Haydyn. Might try it over Christmas break. We shall see.

Amy and Micheal said...

Those little bum cheeks are so cute!!! I can't stop laughing at that picture of her on her new bed. She looks like she is surfing the ocean! She has done rather well with all the "change". Love that chica!