Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad

My crazy dad turned 59 on August 16th. He is so hilarious, as you can tell from this picture, he's not afraid to be weird. I come by it honestly.


"Bompa" and the girls.


We had my family over that Sunday before his birthday. We (and by we, I mean Josh) made dinner and we had a little celebration.


My brother, Jordan, couldn't come. He had to work that night but my dad brought down the picture and frame that Jordan gave him. Naturally, I thought it was so cute so I took a picture.


My dad loves cheesecake. I remember when we were kids and my dad would always make cheesecake with that cherry pie filling out of a can and he'd put it on top. Well, my amazing husband made him a New York baked cheesecake and it was soooooo good!
Is your mouth watering yet?


That's a lot of candles...


Yep, all 59!


Here's dad getting "ready" to blow out all of his candles.


No joke, one blow and they were out and I think he even had air to spare. I'm surprised we didn't have to call an ambulance or the fire department.


Ok, now I know your mouth is watering. It was such good cheesecake. Oh yum!

My dad is one amazing man. He is such a sweet man but he's got the screaming down to a tee. He's one of the coaches for the cross country team and you should hear him screaming at those kids. They all know it's out of love but the parents from the other schools think he's just some mean parent.

My dad screams at sports on TV, I remember we used to say to him, "You do know they can't hear you, right?". One time when he was trying to return something to Al's Sporting Goods, my dad went in and was saying something about how my mom had bought it for some price and I don't know what the exact details were but I know we talk about it all the time. The clerk said something to him about how he was incorrect and he said, "You calling my wife a liar?" My mom was mortified as my dad proceeded to yell at the clerk. To this day, he still says, "What? I was defending your mother's honor!"

One time my dad went at a Jazz game with a couple of friends. Evidently, they were screaming about how bad Jeff Hornacek was playing. They kept ranting and raving about his horrible performance. Well, there was this woman sitting right behind them who was evidently a HUGE Hornacek fan and she was so upset about what they were saying so she scratched one of my dad's friends on the neck and drew blood. My dad, being my dad, turned around and said to the husband, "Put your wife on a leash, would ya?"

I love my dad, these stories just make me love him all the more. I remember when we used to sit around the dinner table on Sunday nights when we were growing up and we would memorize all the states and their capitals then dad would quiz us. He would also quiz us about the 10 plagues of Egypt.

One of my all time favorite stories is when Micheal and Josh went hunting with my dad. My dad fell and I think nearly broke his ankle. He started screaming, "I'm hurt, it's bad, it's real bad!". I swear, Micheal and Josh talked about that day all the time. They'd imitate him and laugh so hard I thought they were both going to double over from pain. They did have to basically carry him out of the mountains and back to the car. Oh, soooo funny!



On a totally separate note. I found this picture of Halle from my dad's birthday last year. She was quite the chunk and she sure has changed a lot in a year.

2 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

I love that you posted all those memories of dad!! I remember when he'd quiz us at dinner (and still does), and mom would mouth the answers to us if we didn't know and then Dad would of course bring up the RISK fiasco and mom moving her bombs. Classic! I could listen to Josh and Micheal tell that hunting story all day! It's one of my favorites!

Oh yes, now you totally have my mouth watering and I have NO cheesecake!! What am I going to do now? I love our Dad!! We are so lucky!

Seriously, could Halle change anymore in just one year?! So chunky cute!

Renae Williams said...

That Halle is one little chunkster! I know it's not a real word, but I think it fits. The post about dad is hilarious and now you know why we got married--keeps me on my toes and laughing. Seriously, Kimberlee, the pics of the family and the separates down the side are adorable! I love them. Chloee looks so much older! You two get prepared for the boys to come a calling. Also love the laundry basket picture.