Saturday, September 20, 2008

COURAGE

My brother-in-law, Micheal, ships out TODAY for Iraq. I don't even care to use the term "brother-in-law", he is very much a brother to me but I don't want anyone thinking Jordan or Matthew are going off to war. Now that's something to laugh about, Matthew, not Jordan.

He will be gone for 1 year and will be terribly missed by all of us. I wanted to put up a post about him before he left, not that he will see this, he is probably already gone.

Micheal is a man of courage, honor and many other attributes that make him the incredible man that he is. I thought the above scripture on his photo well described him. Josh actually told me that he was thinking about that scripture and it reminded him of Micheal and he gave me the great idea to put it on his picture with the flag.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13
That is very well put and describes a very piercing feeling when you read it and think about the great sacrifices that the men and women of our armed forces make for each and every one of us!

This is a sign I have in my house. I thought it was very appropriate for this occasion. It truly is the land of the free, BECAUSE of the brave. It brings tears to my eyes to read it and emphasize why we are free! It is because of those who are willing to lay their lives down for others and for the great sacrifices they and their families make.

I have always felt that I am a patriotic person, my dad is a great example of that. It went up immensely when I married Josh, who has such an appreciation for America. He said that after living in Brazil for 2 years, he can't help but know and feel more grateful for the FREEDOM we enjoy here. He was also in Brazil while 9/11 happened and hearing him describe those feelings of when he found out give you chills. He is a great example of someone who loves this country. Last but know least, it went up yet another level when Micheal joined the Army. Things hit home a lot closer and I'm not even his wife. I can't imagine the pride and patriotism that is in Amy's heart. I feel protective when I hear the media talk about the war and soldiers and just listening to how ungrateful the media is. Why is it that only the bad is shown on TV? It's war, there will always be bad but there is so much good too! I love Micheal and I'm so proud of him and what he's doing.

GOD BLESS!

4 comments:

Bob and Marie said...

HI Kim...Thanks for that touching post. I know you two mean so much to Micheal. He loves to be with you guys! I was wondering if you might be willing to share this picture of him with me. I would love to have a picture of him to display in our home. I will miss him so much. I love your work..and I love your blog. I'm glad you're starting to feel better.

Amy and Micheal said...

I guess it's my turn now to tell you quit posting such emotional but beautiful posts!! Like I haven't cried enough today already! :) Thank you so much, Kim. That means so much to both Micheal and I! We are so lucky to have you and Josh as family. You guys are always thinking of us. Thanks for all your appreciation for what we are enduring at this time. I will miss him every single second while he is away, but it so nice to know that our efforts are appreciated. We live in a such a wonderful country and may God continue to bless it! Love you guys!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

What a sweet post for your bro. IT takes a strong man to be able to go fight for our country, and it takes an even stonger women to let him.

Heather said...

What an amazing person! He'll be in our prayers, too. Sweet post.