Monday, September 1, 2008

Top 5 Mom Myths

I tried to find this article online but I had no such luck. In my Woman's Day magazine, I read a really great article. I wish I could have found it and put the link on here for anyone to read but I will just hit the big points.

The article is called, "Top 5 Mom Myths". Although some of you may not agree with them, I did and the explanations that went along with them were amazing too. Here are the TOP 5 MOM MYTHS:

Myth 1 - A good mom likes her children all the time.

Myth 2 - A good mom bonds with her children immediately.

Myth 3 - A good mom balances it all.

Myth 4 - A good mom spends a lot of time with her kids - and they like her because of it.

Myth 5 - A good mom belongs to one big, supportive Moms Club.

Now, I know to a lot of you those may sound harsh but you really would have to read the entire article. It's not being mean or saying, tell your kids you hate them or anything. It really just brings home the fact that you are human, not super-human. Although many people out there would have you believe that these myths are very much truth. They are only fooling themselves. Once again, the article better describes each of these topics in detail so you are only getting 35% of it from me.

I guess it just hit home that it is ok to do whatever it is you can handle, be the best mom you can be and it is acceptable to fall short of perfection. After all, not one of us is perfect, we have flaws, we mess up and try to do better next time. WHY ARE WE SO HARD ON OURSELVES?

4 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

Yes!! Thank you! I think's it great when we realize our limits and don't depress ourselves over the pressure to feel like a 'perfect mommy'. Sure we'd all like to be that way. But is it gonna happen? Heck no! Not in my lifetime anyways. I love my kids to death. But when I caught Kennet drawing with black magic marker on the bedspread...yeah he wasn't my favorite person at the moment. I'm all for improving ourselves, but not beating ourselves up in the process. Great post Kim!

Krysta said...

I struggle with this EVERYDAY! We are far from perfect, but that's why we have repentance (even for the very small things) and a new day! I LOVE new days! :)

We all just do the best we can do and the best we can do is all we can do!!

Sandstone Writings said...

Love this post. What a good thing to remind all of us that it is not necessary to be all things to all people, but that being ourselves is good enough! And that includes negative feelings too! Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

Amen . . . and good question about being hard on ourselves. I'll have to check out that magazine article it sounds good. And don't you just love it when an article resonates? Good stuff!