Thursday, February 5, 2009

Little Spirits

In the beginning of January when I was so sick, I stayed home from church. One of those Sundays I had decided to watch the KBYU channel, which has devotionals on it. I watched a few that were from broadcasts back in 2000 and before at BYU Idaho. After the devotionals were done there was another talk that came on, it was more like a seminar that had been taped. The gentleman that was giving the talk kept quoting this book called, "The Five Love Languages", by Gary Chapman. His entire presentation was pretty much about this book. It was a really neat talk and I thought, I want to read this book, it sounds so good. He went on talking about how there are 5 love languages and more than likely you and your spouse don't speak the same one. It was very interesting and I really wanted this book more than ever... but it became jumbled into my everyday thoughts and I forgot about it.

Last Saturday I was sitting on the computer looking up something and Chloee was sitting next to me. She started to unload the bookcase, which is an everyday occurrence here. She sifted through books and then we had a conversation that went as follows:

Chloee: "Mom, look at this book"

Me: (Staring at the computer screen) "Yeah sweetie, that's a cool book"

Chloee: "This is your favorite book, huh mom!"

Me: (Still not looking at her) "Yep, sure is sweetie" *I know I sound like this awful parent at this point but she shows me so many things over and over again, I just answer without looking. Bad, I know*

Chloee: "No mom, LOOK! I know this is your favorite book" (now she's waving it around trying to get it in my eyesight)

Me: "Chloee, I know you found a book, that's great" (still not looking)

Chloee: "Please mom, look, I found your favorite book"

Me: (as I glance over to see what all the fuss is about) "Oh my gosh, Chloee. Where did you find this? How did you know? What?..." *proceeded with some tears*

Chloee: (big smile on her face) "See mom, I told you it was your favorite. I love you!" *Then she walked out of the room.*

The book as you can guess was "The Five Love Languages". How? How was it here at my house all this time and I didn't know and how did it get here? As I opened it, I remembered that it was a wedding present that someone had given us. UNBELIEVABLE!

My daughter was prompted by the spirit to show it to me and to not give up until I did so. Sometimes I forget how close they still are to Heaven. It got me thinking about how many times the spirit is trying to speak to me and I refuse it because I have something "more important" that I am focused on. Chloee was a great instrument that day, an instrument that The Lord used to get through to me.

There are no coincidences...

4 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

What a wonderful post and such a sweet experience! That is so touching that Chloee knew you needed to look and see it. I get wrapped in all the other things, too. It's a blessing that we have litte spiritual reminders such as our children to help keep us grounded as to what's really important. Beautiful!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

ohhh soo sweet of Chloee! She is so sweet! We have that book too, I haven't read it much, but Ethan likes to look through it! ahha how ironic! Maybe He is telling me something! hahah
By the way if you notice that we check out your blog several times throughout the week it's because Ethan loves to listen to "SWEET ESCAPE" on your playlist! It's his favorite song! funny huh! of all the songs!

Sandstone Writings said...

Really touching post. The book sounds wonderful. It is amazing how the right teacher turns up when you need it most--especially when it is a child.

spemberly.blogspot.com said...

That's a cool story!