Saturday, May 29, 2010

5K Diabetes Fun (?) Run

Amy and I had signed up a few weeks ago to run a 5K up on the University of Utah's research park for diabetes. It was on Saturday, May 22nd.


The night before the race, I stepped on this ever so lovely pin. It went right into the side of my big toe of my right foot. I was holding Halle and screaming at Amy to pull it out for me. I swear it felt like at least half the pin went into my toe.

Later that night, Kennet came up to me and wanted me to open a full bottle of XZude for him. I think it was around 36 ounces. As he was lifting it up to me, he dropped it and it came slamming down on my 2nd and 3rd toe on the same foot as the pin. It landed bottom first and must have hit it just right. I held back my obscenities, which always flow out of my mouth when I get hurt or scared. It's like a reaction, I don't even realize I'm doing it. That night as I was getting ready for bed, that toe had swollen up to twice its size and I couldn't even touch it without wanting to beat myself for touching it. PAIN.

You'd think I would have taken the pin and the bottle as signs not to run the next day. I'm surprised that I could even get my shoes on.


My goal was to finish, which a did. Yeah! I am in such bad shape, it literally almost killed me. I had to walk/run. Amy was an angel and stayed with me the whole time, she just kept jogging in place when I was walking and was such a great support to me. I kept telling her to leave me and actually "run" the race, but she was a dear and stuck with me. At one point I was crying, I was in so much pain. She just kept pushing me and we had this couple that would be in front of us, then behind us, and back and forth again. We made a goal to beat them and we did!


Don't ask, cause I don't know!!!!

P.S. Majority of the course was hills, no joke!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yay for doing the run (and wounded, no less)! You're AWESOME!

Amy and Micheal said...

I seriously that if one more thing happened to your foot we might just have to amputate it. But of course you could still run on it, right? Just slap on a peg leg, problem solved. I bet Kennet would even lend you his hook and pirate hat. I am SO proud of you! You did awesome! The main point is that we finished... and we finished together. I love you, sistah!