Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Caught You Doing Something Good

One day I went to get Chloee from school. As soon as I walked in the door, I went over to her and asked her to put her jacket on. She flipped into a huge fit of rage, started screaming and then proceeded to kick me in the shins. I tried to calm her down but then she started throwing punches at me. I hauled her into the bathroom at the school and held her till she could calm down.

We have been having, let's call them "ISSUES" with Chloee lately. Lots of hitting, stealing, lying and screaming... not nice things, might I add. It has been interesting, to say the least.

After that, I talked to her teacher to ask if she is doing the same thing in school. She told me that if she had never seen that fit she threw, she never would have believed me that she acted like that because she NEVER does that at school. She told me that she is one of the best kids in the class.

After her teacher and I talked for a while and I broke down, Mrs. Vicki gave me some good ideas. She told me that when one of her sons was younger, all they did was clash with each other. We talked about the difference between positive and negative reinforcement and how negative gets them a quicker response and that I have to find the positive. That's when she told me something she did with her son.

She made a "Caught You Doing Something Good" chart. She said she really had to come up with something some days. She said, she'd tell herself that there just wasn't anything good about him (you know those days). It finally came down to giving a sticker for simply not slamming the door when he came home that day. She said it really makes you dig for the positive and reinforce it.

This is Chloee's door.


On it is her little chart. I don't tell her when I'm putting one on, she usually notices it sometime after and she'll come running to me, asking what it was for. What good thing had she done? It has changed everything around. I cannot believe how amazing this chart has worked. At first it was for things like not yelling that she hated me when she was in time out.

The stickers now are for things like doing the dishes, sharing with Halle, saying please and thank you. This chart has really helped to tone down all of the problems we have been having.


When the chart is all full, she gets a surprise. This time it was Tangled.

I am so grateful for fabulous people who have been in the trenches years ago and now share their wisdom with a mother of young children.

2 comments:

Bob and Marie said...

LOVE this idea! I had a hard time with Joshua when he was between the ages of 2 and 5. We clashed all day long, and it was hard to get through the day with him. Hard to imagine now. He threw the biggest fits of rage and we have holes in the wall from when he picked up a chair and threw it at the wall. I wish I would have done something like this! Thanks for posting. Who knows what battles I have yet to fight with Kyle! Miss you guys!

Amy and Micheal said...

I'm so glad that Chloee's teacher was willing to tell you about her struggles with her own children so that you could have this idea! It truly makes you feel better when you hear that someone has been through the same thing and I'm so proud of Chloee for filling up her chart. I couldn't believe it when you told me about her fit at the school. This is the best idea! I should set one up for Kennet..... wouldn't that be interesting!