Saturday, April 30, 2011

Changes

Change is the only thing that is constant in our lives. That sentence sounds like its own little contradiction. I don't deal well with change. I despise it and I hate it. I don't like change from the smallest little taste of change, like if they are all out of my laundry detergent at the store and I have to buy another scent, down to losing a loved one and dealing with that change. Change, blah!

I hate when people say, "but change is good for us". Ok, says who? Shut up, you eternal optimist. I know that we are told to be optimistic but sometimes I just can't stand those people who always have a smile on their face and talk about how perfect their lives, marriage and children are. Gag me. Everyone has struggles, everyone. But heaven forbid that any of us not act like we have perfect lives or admit that our house isn't clean all the time.

A couple of months ago I felt like a change was going to come. I can't even really explain what that means, just that I felt like something was going to change for our family. I instantly thought it was going to be something to teach me patience (clearly that is something I need to work on). I knew they were redoing our ward's bishopric and I thought... "What if they put Josh in the bishopric? I can hardly handle how long he's gone right now between his commute and his long work days, he's gone for 12-14 hours a day. I already feel like a single parent and I'm not doing so hot with the current situation. We got a new bishopric, no Josh. Whewww.

Josh was in the Elder's Quorum Presidency before they redid the bishopric then the President was made the bishop so they had to redo the EQ presidency. Once again, oh please, no more meetings than he already has to go to. He gets called back into the presidency with a new president. Ok, I can handle this.

Then 2 weeks later they announce in sacrament meeting that our ward and 8 other ward boundaries are being realigned. What? And the meeting was that night the stake center. I was so nervous, we live right on a ward boundary line. In fact, every place we've lived since we've been married, we have lived on a ward boundary line. In our first one, our road cut off the line, our second one, the people across the street were in a different ward and now 2 houses down from me isn't in my ward. I knew we were goners. Not that the thought of that broke my heart. We don't exactly like this ward we've lived in for 3 years. They aren't really nice and unless you grew up in West Point or you married someone from West Point, you're not really welcome. Plus the old people are MEAN about kids.

I wasn't really worried about being moved to a new ward but I really wanted my friend Melissa to stay with me. Her house is along the boundaries too and I was worried that they would split it right down the road that separates us. Luckily, the line ran through her backyard and she came with us to the new ward. Even though I didn't like our ward, I was nervous to change and be the new people coming into the existing 13th ward.

Wow, this is starting to be really, really long. In short, Josh and I teach primary together for the Valiant 8 class. There are twelve of them. It gets really crazy. I have made some friends in the new ward, I instantly felt welcome, the old people are nice and sweet about children and most of the ward is younger families so they don't care if your child screams all the way out of sacrament meeting. Everyone seems so nice. Halle has had to relearn that she likes nursery and Josh and I are learning the ins and outs of 8 and 9 year olds.

All in all, it was the best change for me. There were 3 reasons for us to sell our house and move. First, to move down closer to Amy in American Fork. Second, Josh's new (a year ago) job is in Cottonwood Heights, long commute. And third, to get out of our ward that we didn't like and that we've never felt welcome in.

Let's take a look at that. Number one is no longer needed, Amy is moving back to Cache Valley and now number three is no longer needed because we didn't have to move and still got put in a new ward, which we love. Now if only we could get number two done. 2 out of 3 done. Let's get cracking.

I guess change can be good.

2 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

I kept wondering how long it was going to take to get you guys down by us, and now I am so glad that it didn't work out (in that sense) because I'm leaving to venture north! I would have felt so bad. It just goes to show that the Lord knows all and what is going to come and what we really need. I'm so glad that Melissa is in the new ward with you guys and that you have each other. Now, if we can just get Josh a new job, closer to home. I'm so proud of you Kim and for dealing with all those huge changes. I love your last line. It all depends on how we look at it. Love ya sistah!

thejohnmfamily said...

You know, in my opinion, change is hard, whether bad or good. I do not adjust well to change either, and if it makes you feel better, my house is not clean. Oh, and my kids are always sick. I could spend a day listing all the reasons we are not perfect.