Sunday, January 25, 2009

Are You Serious???

In December the registration on our car needed to be renewed. In the chaos of Christmas and everything else, we forgot to do it. So about 2 weeks ago, we decided we better get a move on it before we get pulled over and ticketed.

This was our first time registering it here in Davis County. I forgot that outside of Cache Valley you have to get an emissions test along with your safety inspection. We take it in and the safety FAILS... What? Here's the reason. The front 2 windows are too tinted and they won't pass it. We have owned this car for 4 years... 4 YEARS and it has passed safety every time. We certainly haven't tinted it at all in the years we've had it. How could it pass for 4 years and now all of a sudden it doesn't pass? We decide to get a 2nd opinion at a different place, which proceeds to tell us the same thing. This is unbelievable. They said by law there has to be at least 48% light coming through and evidently our Honda was only letting in about 23%. After Josh talked to a few people at work, he soon figured out that in Cache Valley they don't really care about that stuff and always let it go but here in Davis County, they are SUPER NAZIS about it. Great, just great!

Now we have to get the tinting taken off the front 2 windows. Just chalk that up for another freaking expense. As if safety/emissions isn't enough, the stupid renewal to register a car I ALREADY OWN and pay MORE TAXES on it just infuriates me. Throw having to get tinting removed from the car, just pissed me off even more. I felt like I had to throw down one of my arms just to pay for everything.

Alright, enough ranting. Josh calls some places to find out how much it would cost to take the tinting off. Some guy was the lowest at $20. When Josh called him back to make an appointment, the man said something along these lines, "I do it by appointment only, meet me at such and such, bring only cash and .....". You get the picture. Hello, could that guy have been any more shady? No! Josh said the guys was a total creep when he was talking to him. Yeah, we canceled that appointment and paid the $30 to go some place legit.

Well, that is it, I really just had to get that off my chest and get it documented. Maybe... and that's a big maybe, I'll think this story is funny someday.

3 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

I could NOT believe that when you told it to me! Who does that? I'm sorry, but what do they do about all the ganstas driving around with windows tinted so dark you'd think the President was getting a ride? Oh, that's right. They don't get all those kinds of tests done because they don't have license plates and the VIN numbers are filed off! What a rip off! I wonder why Davis county are such Nazi's about it?

That guys sounded like a total creep. What else does he do on the side? Never mind, I don't want to know!

Jenny said...

Josh had to take the tinit off his windows back when he owned his little Ford (his little bro now drives it). Also Josh's other little bro had to do the same thing on his brand new truck (why do they sell them with all the tint anyway, just to take it off later?) & that's in Idaho, so....
Josh & Joe scraped theirs off their self (it's a messy deal).

Bob and Marie said...

I can't believe that! It's not enough to have to PAY to be able to drive a car..you have to make sure your windows aren't too dark or too light or the wrong shape or size? Crazy! I'd like to know if any of the money we pay for registration goes to pay for anything more than the cashier's paychecks that take the money.