Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year 2009

The fabulous year of 2009 came in with a wonderful sickness. I had a little bit of an itchy throat a couple days before but when I woke up on New Year's Day, I had was slammed with an awful sickness that is STILL going on and is now on day 11 and is not over yet!!! I swear that when and IF I ever get over this, I will strangle anyone that has even the slightest cough that comes within 10 feet of me. I am through.

On a different note. I decided that I wanted to make it a tradition to make this yummy breakfast food every New Year... and so the tradition began this year. They are called Orange Pecan Sticky Buns. I made them once for Josh while we were dating and that was the last time I made them, about 6 years ago. I found the recipe buried in my recipe book. It was so good and if anyone else wants to try it, I'm gong to include the recipe:

ORANGE PECAN STICKY BUNS
1 c. sugar
1 c. chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 tsp. orange peel (zest)

Mix this together in a large ziplock bag.

2 cans of Grand biscuits (or 4 cans normal) quartered
1/2 c. melted butter
1 c. sugar

Put the biscuits in the sugar and orange peel mixture. Shake until coated. Arrange in a 10 c. bunt pan. Mix the sugar and melted butter together and drizzle over the top. Bake at 325 for 40-50 minutes (I always do 55 minutes). Flip up onto platter and serve.

Glaze Topping:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 halves of orange juice squeezed (I peeled the halves of the orange and put them in the blender and put it on liquefy. When it's all done put it in a fine strainer and all of the juice comes out and leaves the skin or excess stuff in the strainer. You actually get a lot more juice this way. I owe that little trick to Josh, evidently that's how the Brazilians do it.)
1/2 tsp. almond extract (Do not supplement with vanilla, makes a big difference)

Drizzle on top

YUM! YUM! YUM! YUM!

3 comments:

The Over Family said...

Holy Cow! Those sticky buns look SOOOOOOO amazingly delicious!! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try them out some time when I'm in the mood for something really sweet. Sorry that you are sick though, that really bites! Don't you hate getting colds that seem to go on forever? Oh yeah, good luck with toilet training Chloee...that would be really great to only pay for diapers for one kid. :)

Heather said...

Those sweet rolls look so yummy! And what a happy memory to savor when you eat them. I love how you guys bring traditions and memories into your daily life. Such a great idea! Sorry you're feeling sick--I hope you don't have what I had. Yuck. Get feeling better soon, okay? :-)

Amy and Micheal said...

Those look DIVINE!! I bet they tasted that way too. How about along with being a "New Years Treat" they could also double as a "great treat for whenever Amy visits." Eh? Sound good?