Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bombarded

Today it was as though it was a war of "Church vs The Adams". We have lived in our ward for almost 6 months now and have been able to dodge having to talk in church. You know the usual, don't talk to anyone in the bishopric, bolt to class and run to the car once church is over. Well, today it was a total bombardment of appts, callings and such.

It started when we got to church late, shock. We sat in the back where we ALWAYS sit. Just then the Bishop is sustaining people in callings, up goes Josh for Assistant Scoutmaster and myself for "Children's Class Coordinator". Let's not get into that one. Don't you just love when you stand there while everybody stares at you putting your name with a face. After Sunday School was finished a gentleman came up and said he had been trying to get a hold of us for at least a month. I knew who he was and when he called I didn't answer the phone because I didn't want to know what he wanted. Well, he snagged me at church, "Sister Adams would you be willing to say the opening or closing prayer next week in Sacrament Meeting?". Oh, joy I thought and told him that I'd take the closing prayer so that I could be there for it.

As I was heading to Relief Society, I was caught by my visiting teacher, who asked if she could come visit this week. "Sure" I replied. I turned around and there was MY visiting teaching partner asking when we could go visiting teaching this week. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind going or having them come, it all just came bam, bam, bam!

We get out of R.S., I pick up Chloee, I looked for Josh so we could get out before someone could snag me and ask us to speak in church. We got to the car, yes, we are free. Well, Josh had to go back to the church for meeting at 1 pm. He comes home and says, "Well, Brother Zaugg saw me at the church and guess what he asked us to do?" What, how could this be? Of course it was, "Could you and your wife talk in church next Sunday?". Josh literally had his foot in the door of the car when Brother Zaugg came running out and asked him.

What was it about today? I guess I get to talk next week and say the prayer in Sacrament. It's like you get a calling and all of a sudden you are noticed and your whole disappearing trick and being able to dodge people diminishes. Today was definitely one of those days when you wish you had been visiting another ward or woke up with the chicken pox. Maybe I'll come down with something on Saturday night? Hmmm......

4 comments:

The Johnson's said...

Just look at it this way--you won't have to speak again for a year or so, you'll get your VT done and you'll be able to call your supervisor and say we are done and the best one--you can serve in your calling and still maintain a low profile (at least it's not RS President or something like that, right?) I'm sorry! Just think--in a week from now it'll all be over :-) (well, not the calling!) Good luck with your talk, you'll do a great job!

Krysta said...

That's funny! Your hiding out time is definately OVER! What a Sunday! At least you can get the talk over with now and not have to wonder when you're going to get asked to do it. Good luck!! I dread doing it too.

Amy and Micheal said...

I swear, only your guys' luck could bring such a torrent of obligations! :) First your stuff all breaks, now this. Like Denise said, at least you will have it all out of the way! I'm proud of Josh for not just slamming the car door and speeding away, pretending he didn't hear him! That's something I may have done!

Heather said...

Wow, so much for staying under the radar. Darn! You'll have to post how it all goes (fingers crossed).