Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE LONGEST NIGHT EVER

Murphy has a lot of laws. A lot of which I seem to be able to grace my presence with on more occasions than I care to remember. Really, it should be Kimberlee's Law. I could blame it on Josh and say it should be Adams' Law, but my bad luck came about LONG before I met Josh. Now, he just has to grin and bear it with me...

Last Tuesday, we went and bought a chest freezer. We have been wanting one for a very long time. Well, I took advantage of the Macey's deal on chicken breasts for only $1.19 a lb and we got a 40 lb box. Josh cut it all up, we bagged, dated, you name it and put it away. Well, then on Friday, Jeremy, a guy from Josh's work, offered for people to get a great deal on beef if they'd come and help cut and package. Josh brought home 85 lbs of beef. Yes, 85... See why he had to have that freezer!

Saturday we were down at Josh's mom's doing pictures and we decided to come home that night to be able to sleep in our own bed. We were going back down the next day for his brother who was blessing their baby, but that wasn't until 3, so we would be fine, right?

We get home Saturday night at 10. I'm sitting in bed reading and the lights start to flicker. On and off, about 10 times. Then, all of a sudden there was a big flash of light out the window that lit up everything and BAM, the power was out! I HATE the dark and that is an understatement. I hate it so much, I don't sleep and it's so QUIET. I call Rocky Mountain Power and here's what I get:

"West Point is out of power, 800 customers are out of power and it could come back on my maybe 1:30 am." Ok, so is that with the time change or not with the time change? In the meantime, I bring Chloee into our bed so that we can all stay warm together and I can see her, like I said, I hate the dark, total paranoia.

The alarm on our house beeps 2x when a door is opened, well all of a sudden it beeps a fast 4 times and I am ready to seriously have a heart attack. I'm thinking that someone waited until our power went off and now they are trying to get in our house to kill me. Yes, this is the way my brain works. Josh looks at me and I can tell he's thinking the same thing as me, "What the H was that?" He goes downstairs, with a huge flashlight, might I add and I guess it was the system just saying that it didn't have power and was running on back-up or something like that. Not good for a pregnant person, I think I almost went into labor right then and there.

We're still not sleeping and I call RMP again: "West Point, Clearfield and Syracuse are out, over 1800 customers are out of power, estimated to come back on at 2 am." Once again, is this with the stupid time change or NOT???

Still no sleep, I'm just lying there wide awake and I feel like I can puke at any given moment. It's about 2 am at this point, right when the clock changes back to 1 am and I call again. RMP says: "West Point is out, 800 customers are out of power, check back at 4:30 am." What? Why did Clearfield and Syracuse get their power back on, ours has been out much, much longer?

No sleep still, all of a sudden, there's a beeping going on. Oh great, one of the smoke alarms are beeping because the battery needs to be changed. Josh goes around the pitch-black house trying to find which one it is. He thought it was the one in the vault, I'm sure he would have probably thrown something at it and smashed it before he would have changed that one. After much searching, it's the one in the office.

I call RMP: "West Point, Clearfied, Layton, Ogden, Harrisville, Bountiful and SLC are out. Over 8500 customers are out of power. Estimated time to be back on is 8:30 am". Still no sleep, maybe 20 minutes here or there and it's starting to get COLD. Chloee's not sleeping well, she keeps waking up and screaming. Neither Josh or I are sleeping really and Chloee is just going crazy.

Finally, 8:30 am rolls around and ends the LONGEST night of my life, literally, cause we got that stupid extra hour in there. I call RMP: "West Point, Clearfield, Layton, Syracuse, Ogden, Harrisville, Bountiful, SLC, Wellsville AND ALL THE SURROUNDING AREAS are out. We cannot give an estimated time that the power will be back on." They didn't even mention how many customers were out of power, probably TOO MANY to report. Why is West Point the only city that has continually had their power off the ENTIRE time? I call my friend Maren, who lives in Syracuse and they have power and I ask her if we can come over for a little bit, to a warm house and somewhere that I can open the fridge. (That makes me sound like a mooch, I brought my own cereal, just borrowed her milk.)

We went to her house and it was so warm. I was able to actually eat something. Chloee was ornery, as usual. I could tell something was bothering her, then and all night. I called, still same news so Josh went and bought ice for all of our meat that was in our deep freezer. Yes, Murphy's Law, I get over 125 lbs of meat and the power goes out and there is no definite time of when it will come back on... if EVER at this point! As we were driving to Maren's house, there were houses 5 blocks away from us that had power but not our neighborhood.

We buy ice and decide to go home and make sure our meat is okay. We get home at noon and it finally came back on. We were out of power for over 13 hours. Once again, Murphy's Law steps in, we have 8 bags of ice and the power JUST came back on. Chloee was screaming and yelling, I'm so tired I can barely see straight and I think I'm going to throw up, the weather was insane up here, it was raining like cats and dogs and our windshield wipers couldn't even keep up with it, so we decided to stay home and not go to the baby blessing which was an hour and a half away. I put Chloee down for a nap because she wouldn't stop screaming, I lay down and Josh zonks out shortly after me and we sleep for over 3 hours.

Well, we finally got power and our house took a little bit to warm up. We were so exhausted and time change throws you off anyway. I find out next day what is wrong with Chloee. She's got another UTI, which isn't good where she has the urinary reflux, explains why she was screaming so much. That fiasco in it and of itself is a whole different story. You know what I mean, Maren!

That's it, Murphy's Law, but once again, got the best of me!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! What a night you had! I hope Chloee gets better soon!!

Amy and Micheal said...

I knew that your power went out, but I didn't know all the details, like 125 lbs. waiting to rot in your freezer, stupid fire alarm needs a battery changing (they're as bad as babies with their diapers), and Chloee's UTI...... Man, what a load to have Murphy dump on you! That is sweet of Maren to let you guys come over to a warm house. You're so funny, Kim, bringing your own cereal. I doubt Maren would have thrown you out on your pregnant tush if you asked to eat a bowl of cereal. :) I'm glad your power FINALLY came on though. I hate when the power's out. But I do have it easier since I just roll back over and go to sleep. The cats will meow real loud if there's a predator, right?

Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry that this happened to you guys! Why do you always have the worst luck? I think you're done for the next 40 years or so.

P.S. How do you write about all this stuff with humor? You always seem to say something that makes me laugh, even though its a sad experience. We're sending good thoughts your way . . .

Maren said...

That exhausted me just reading it and I didn't experience it! The potty fiasco and UTI is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! It was fun trying to get her to go though, he..he!