Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Copyright

I sent this picture of Chloee into Walmart to have them printed up yesterday. I normally would send them away to a professional printing company but I needed them sooner. I went to Walmart this morning to pick them up. As I gave them my name, they proceeded to tell me that I couldn't have them, I needed permission from the photographer to release the prints.

Me: "I am the photographer!"

Walmart Photo Man: "Um... These look professional."

Me: "Well thanks, but they're still MINE." (I was in my pj's still and I looked the farthest thing away from presentable but still...)

Walmart Photo Man: "So what kind of camera do you have?" (Obviously trying to catch me in a lie.)

Me: "A Nikon D40X, you know a digital SLR camera? Is that alright with you?"

Walmart Photo Man: "Oh, so have you taken any classes and where?"

Me: "These are my pictures and I'd like to have them now!"

Walmart Photo Man: "Well you are going to have to sign this copyright paper saying that you are the photographer and that you are releasing the pictures to yourself and giving permission for you to have prints done here."

Me: "Let me get this straight... I am signing a release form to myself as the photographer?"

Walmart Photo Man: "Yes and if you really are not the photographer, by signing this document you can be arrested for fraud."

Me: "Well, unless I turn on myself, I guess I'll be good."

I was flattered that all of this happened. I'm not going to lie, it boosted my ego. Before it sounds like I am tooting my own horn, which it totally sounds like I am doing, I just wanted to share this funny story and have it in my blog. After all this blog is for me, no one else and it is like a journal to me and that is why I post what I do. I might go to a private blog here soon, we'll see!
HOPE YOU ENJOY!

5 comments:

Amy and Micheal said...

What a motard! Sign the release to yourself? That is too funny... but I do see his side of the professional photos, you are fantastic Kim!! I would have loved to have been there to see you rip him one, just like the Fisher Home furnishings guy! Classic!

Josh said...

You better watch out! I've known you to be pretty hot headed when you steal your pictures. You better watch out or you may sue yourself for copyright fraud.
Good job Chica! I always knew that you were a professional, now someone has openly agreed with me!!!

The Over Family said...

That is hilarious, Kim! What a compliment...I would be STOKED if someone did that to me (annoyed too, but mostly happy!). :)

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

JOn and I are looking for a nice camera to take nice pictures like you. We found a great deal on a Kodak brand...is that a good one for digital cameras? Please let us know asap before we just buy it!
I LOVE your pictures! I think they look really good and pro! And to think that you couldn't get your pictures because they thought you weren't the photographer! hahahahah! How funny is that! I have never been asked that about my pictures! Of course, we don't own a digital camera..yet! :)

Heather said...

Sorry you had to go through all that stress! I'm glad that you got another validation that you are an amazing photographer. It seems like it comes so naturally to you!